Joie De Vivre is French for the phrase “The Joy of Living.”
Do you have Joy in your daily life? Do you feel happiness deep from within your soul? Or is happiness something you are in constant pursuit of?
The concept of “the pursuit of happiness” tells us that happiness is out there somewhere to be found. So we need to look for it, and when we find it, then we will be happy.
Under this idea, happiness is something we can find outside of ourselves – if we search hard enough. This puts a lot of pressure on ourselves to find this “elusive” happiness. And it might make people feel like they are failing at finding happiness because they don’t have something that they want like a dream house, ideal job or partner.
The pursuit of happiness concept feeds the idea that if something happens, THEN we will be happy.
But do you know what? It never works – we might find some excitement or joy from achieving what we think will bring us happiness but it doesn’t last, it’s not true happiness.
So let’s forget about this idea of pursuing happiness because it is not out there to be found. Happiness actually comes from within you, so that’s where we need to focus – inside of yourself.
Your happiness is Your responsibility
Happiness is YOUR responsibility. Nobody else can do this for you because it is an inside job.
Sometimes things happen that are really challenging in our lives. These trials can leave us feeling disappointed, empty, and alone. Happiness can seem unachievable in these times.
How can we learn to process the hard experience, find grace and compassion for ourselves and what we are facing, and try to learn from the lessons we are being taught?
Can we slowly start to release, forgive or move forward with our lives finding a new normal as we begin to heal from a loving and nurturing place?
No matter how dark or gloomy it seems at times…can we try to look for something good? Even if it is really really small.
It’s in this kind of intentional living that we can start to slowly feel happiness that is lasting and meaningful. By being grateful for each moment that we have, we find happiness within. It’s not by being happy that we are grateful but it’s the other way around. When we are grateful for each moment and for what we have right now, that’s when we find and feel true and lasting happiness.
To me, happiness is inner peace. It’s being content in each moment. It’s in embracing the moment we are in and feeling grateful for what it brings.
Happiness lives in the present moment
If we are in the pursuit of happiness and searching for it, then we are skipping the moment we are in right now. This feeling robs us of enjoying the moment we are in because we are constantly on the lookout for something better, something that is going to make us happy. And we miss what’s happening right now, we miss the opportunity to be happy. Happiness like positivity is there, moment by moment.
Can we make the choice to look to the positive, stay in the present and to embrace that moment like you chose it?
By being grateful for what we have – right now and by staying present in the moment we are in, and loving ourselves for who we are, we can find happiness within ourselves.
Let’s put this theory to practice.
It’s wonderful to read content and be inspired. But what happens to me is if I don’t figure out how to harness the content and bring it into my daily routine, the inspiration disappears after a few days, and I continue on just as I was before.
In order to bring this mindset into your reality, you need to create new habits to bring these concepts into your day-to-day life.
Write a list of things in your life that bring you happiness. How can you add them more frequently into your life? What can you change to shift your thoughts towards true and lasting happiness and peace?
Here are 10 steps I take to increase my Joie De Vivre and bring more happiness and peace into my life:
1. Be with others who make me smile. Studies show that we are happiest when we are around those who are also happy. Stick with those who are joyful and let rub off on you.
2. Hold on to my values. What you find true, what you know is fair, and what you believe in are all values. Over time, the more you honor them, the better you will feel about yourself and those you love.
3. Accept the good. Look at your life and take stock of what’s working, and don’t push away something just because it isn’t perfect. When good things happen, even the very little ones, let them in.
4. Imagine the best. Don’t be afraid to look at what you really want and see yourself getting it. Many people avoid this process because they don’t want to be disappointed if things don’t work out. The truth is that imagining getting what you want is a big part of achieving it.
5. Do things I love. Maybe you can’t skydive every day or take vacations every season, but as long as you get to do the things you love every once in a while, you will find greater happiness.
6. Find purpose. Those who believe they are contributing to the well-being of humanity tend to feel better about their lives. Most people want to be part of something greater than they are, simply because it’s fulfilling.
7. Listen to my heart. You are the only one who knows what fills you up. It can be complicated following your bliss. Just find opportunities to quiet the mind so you can hear what your heart is trying to tell you.
8. Push myself, not others. It’s easy to feel that someone else is responsible for your fulfillment, but the reality is that it is really your job. Once you realize that, you have the power to get where you want to go.
9. Be open to change. Even if it is uncomfortable, change is the one thing you can count on. Change will happen, so make contingency plans and emotionally open yourself up for the experience.
10. Bask in the simple pleasures. Those who love you, treasured memories, silly jokes, warm days, and starry nights—these are the ties that bind and the gifts that keep on giving.
Be happy for this moment… for this moment is your life.